A common misconception Christians have about Islam is that they think Muslims have nothing to do with God except fearing Him. They think that God in Islam is just distant God and the way of worship Muslims should do is just through different works and rites God ordered Muslims to do without any spiritual relationship between a Muslim and God.
Attributes of God in Islam
To answer this misconception we must first talk about what the Quran tells about Allah. We can first give what some verses tell about attributes of God.These verses tell about the Mightiness and Mercy of God:
22. Allah is He, than whom there is no other god — Who knows (all things) both secret and open; He, Most Gracious, Most Merciful. 23. Allah is He, than whom there is no other god –the sovereign,the Holy One, the Source of Peace (and Perfection). The Guardian of Faith, the Preserver of Safety, the Exalted in Might, the Irresistible,the Supreme: Glory to Allah! (high is He) above the partners they attribute to Him. 24. He is Allah, the Creator, the Evolver, the Bestower of Forms (or colors). To Him belong the Most Beautiful Names: Whatever is in the heavens and on earth, doth declare His Praises and Glory: and He is the exalted in Might, the Wise. (Holy Quran 59:22-24)
God is Close to Us
Now is God really distant from us? The Quran answers no:
186.When my servants ask thee concerning Me, I am indeed close (to them); I listen to the prayer of every suppliant when he calleth on Me; let them also, with a will, listen to My call, and believe in Me; that they may walk in the right way. (Holy Quran 2:186)
Muslims Love and Fear Allah
Now, do Muslims love God? Or is it just about fear? Prophet Muhammad (Peace be upon him) says in Al Bukhari:
Narrated Anas: The Prophet said, “Whoever possesses the following three qualities will have the sweetness (delight) of faith: 1. The one to whom Allah and His Apostle becomes dearer than anything else. 2. Who loves a person and he loves him only for Allah’s sake. 3. Who hates to revert to Atheism (disbelief) as he hates to be thrown into the fire.”
Does Allah love Muslims?
31.Say (O Muhammad): “If ye do love Allah, follow me: Allah will love you, and forgive you your sins, for Allah is Oft-Forgiving, Most Merciful.” (Holy Quran 3:31)
76. Nay. Those that keep their plighted faith and act aright, verily Allah loves those who act aright. (Holy Quran 3:76)
134. Those who spend (freely), whether in prosperity, or in adversity; who restrain anger, and pardon (all) men;for Allah loves those who do good. (Holy Quran 3:134)
Does Allah love the unbelievers?
32. Say: “Obey Allah and His Messenger;”but if they turn back, Allah loveth not those who reject Faith. (Holy Quran 3:32)
57. “As to those who believe and work righteousness, Allah will pay them (in full) their reward; but Allah loveth not those who do wrong. (Holy Quran 3:57)
Christians may come and say, “This is the difference between God in Christianity and God in Islam, as God in Christianity loves disbelievers as well”. Actually I find it misleading when Christians say so, as Christians keep on saying that if we don’t believe in Jesus as our saviour we will go to the Hell and the lake of fire and sulphur. So God in Christianity loves me but He will punish me eternally in Hell. Does these really match? I doubt.